I love Independence Day. I love celebrating the birth of our country and the courage, strength, and bravery of those who fought and still fight for our freedoms. I love listening to Patriotic Music (Hi, John Phillip Sousa!) and wearing red, white, and blue (they’re all really good colors for me). I love picnics, fireworks, sparklers, laughter, family time, and I love love love summer picnic food. We’re having a new porch/backyard picnic at my parent’s today. Brisket, Potato Salad, Baked Beans, Homemade Pie (Peach and Triple Berry) and Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.
|Homemade Peach Pie|
Mom’s Pie Crust
For One Crust- Recipe can be double for a two ceust pie, just keep ratio of fat/flour the same.
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup butter flavor shortening (Crisco!)
Ice water (2-3 Tbsps….and seriously I don’t mean cold tap water, I mean put ice in the water)
1. In a large bowl combine flour, butter, and shortening. Using a fork or a pastry cutter blend ingredients until pea size or smaller (no large pieces of butter or shortening should remain unincorporated).
2. Drizzle in water one tablespoon at a time. Toss dough with a fork just until dough is damp enough to hold together.
3. Form into a flat 4-inch disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refridgerate dough at least 30-minutes before rolling.
1. Let dough rest at room temperature until still chilled, but not hard. Sprinkle a clean dry surface with flour to coat.
2. Use a rolling pin to roll dough to desired size.
3. Follow your favorite pie recipe baking instructions.
I hope everyone has a safe, happy, fun, and good food filled 4th of July!
Happy Independence Day!